Tuesday, October 28, 2008

BLACKBERRY SUCKBERRY


I remember reading an article like a year ago about how a leading phone company was going to stop locking phones so you can use them with any carrier. I predicted that if and when they started doing this, other phone services would soon follow. I was wrong.

It's crap that you can't use a Sidekick with Sprint or an I-Phone with T-Mobile unless you get some shady tech dude to unlock it or you buy it on E-Bay. It should be illegal that phone services purposefully lock phones in the first place. A Blackberry is a Blackberry and I should be able to use it with whatever carrier I chose.

I'm going on this rant because today I went to the launch party in NYC for the new Blackberry Bold 9000. And I got a free Blackberry. Sweet, right? Well yes, except for the fact that I can't use it because I don't have AT&T! This happened a year ago in LA at the launch party for the pink Blackberry Pearl and that time I gave my phone to my best friend. This time, however, I am pissed because my current Blackberry is seriously from 2001 and I desperately need a new one.

There are much larger problems to have in life but this is not just about having a cool phone. It's about companies taking advantage of the people! It's about monopolies! It's about corporate America! It's about the right to choose! It's about the economic crisis!

Okay, I'm probably overreacting a bit ...

The party was fun though. Great pear martinis, kobe beef and cute boys in suits. A girl also fell down the staircase. It wouldn't have been so bad had she not screamed bloody murder as she fell. Everyone in the room just turned and looked at her but at least no one laughed. Everyone secretly knew that could have been them - rain and steep staircases don't mix well.


Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester) and the real socialite Olivia Palermo.

Also at the soiree was the beautiful Maggie Gyllenhaal, intriguing Olivia Palermo (side note: Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girls is rumored to be based off of her. Olivia told me she's met Leighton Meester but she's never seen the show!), the super cute Robert Buckley (who told me I looked familiar. I said yes, I've interviewed you before. And then I sighed), Rafi Gavron (from Nick and Nora's Infinite Play List. Rafi makes me wish I was 18 years-old again. He's gonna be a huge star. I promise. I met him at the Toronto Film Festival a month ago and he told me he was going to shoot Michael Cera with a water gun at their premiere. We hugged, caught up and he confessed he never went through with the water gun stunt. He was in town shooting a campaign for Barney's).

Everyone there got free Crackberries too ... and I guarantee they don't all have AT&T.


New up and comer youngster Rafi Gavron.