Tuesday, October 28, 2008

OLSENS VS TROLLSENS



This afternoon I went to Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's book signing in New York for their new book, Influence. Yes, the Olsens have written a book ... and from what I've read so far, it's not that bad.

PETA, who has dubbed the twins the "Trollsens" because according to them, wearing fur is "ugly," was outside protesting, decked out in Trollsen masks. Oh yeah. I said Trollsen masks. And if you were hoping to snag one for Halloween, think again. They're sold out on their website because according to Ashley Byrne, a campaign coordinator for PETA, the masks are a total hit.

"I have to say these Halloween masks that we have been giving away have been in such demand," she told me today. "We were giving them away online and actually we’ve been cleaned out. People can go online to print their own but the ones we were sending out, I mean there was such a demand for these, that they’re gone."

I of course, was able to snag two of these super exclusive masks. Sweet!

The Olsen camp had this book signing organized like a factory production line. You pay, get a wristband, stand in line, take off your coat (to prove you aren't some crazy stalker?), walk by the table, Mary-Kate signs the book, Ashley signs the book, you step down, and wrist band is cut off. It's a fine operation they've got running.

Yes, I said hi to them, they smiled and yes, they are gorgeous. Unfortunately for the fashionistas, they've been targeted by the animal-loving-fur-hating-celebrity-targetting-group. Sucks to be gorgeous, rich and famous. There's just some things you put up with. Good thing I didn't bring my new mink coat to the book signing ... Seriously. Yesterday, I was just given my grandma's vintage mink coat. And call me heartless, but I love it. It is meaningful and gorgeous. And I love animals. Does that make me a hypocrite? A flip-flopper? I saved seven kittens in the basement of a frat house sophomore year of college. I should get rollerover points for that.

For more info on the book signing and PETA's stance on it all, check out the OK! Mag exclusive!