Sunday, April 27, 2008

TROJANS OWN THE DRAFT


A school-record seven USC football players were selected in the first two rounds of the 2008 NFL draft on Saturday. Just when I think I can't possibly love my school any more (I went there during the National Championship Leinart dynasty, Will Ferrell is an alum, I had the best education I could have asked for from the most incredible teachers and esteemed individuals in the industry, blah, blah and blah), something else happens that reminds me why the Trojans are so incredible.

Four of the Trojans were selected in the first round, including offensive tackle Sam Baker, who was the 21st pick of the opening round by the Atlanta Falcons. Sam and I have known each other since middle school. He is perhaps one of the nicest guys I've ever met and I can't think of anyone more deserving of such success.

I called him today to congratulate him and would you like to know where he was? Back in our hometown of Tustin (T-town as I like to call it), staying at his mom's house, having a low-key and relaxing week. We chatted about going back to visit our high school and how sad it is that all of our favorite teachers are gone.

Back in high school when I was class president (don't hate, I just wanted to plan prom), I was on ASB with his older brother, Ben Baker and I would go with Sam and Ben to Arena football games, because their dad is the AFL commissioner. This is before anyone knew what Arena football was, but we would get totally dressed up and cheer like crazy at the games with the Bakers. All of this nostalgia has inspired me to dig up this photo from sophomore year of high school at an Arena football game. This pic made the Avengers website for some time. Let's not get started on my decision to wear a yellow scrunchy. Congrats Sam and the other Trojans. You deserve it! For real news on the draft click here.