Thursday, November 13, 2008

PICKUP ARTISTS IN NYC

Three years ago I read a book called The Game, by Neil Strauss. It's about an underground society of pickup artists. Neil Strauss was a writer for the New York Times and was asked to write an article about these guys who taught other men how to pickup women through various techniques. Instead, Neil travels around the world meeting the best pickup artists and learning various techniques until he becomes the best pickup artist in the world. It's a true story.

I read the book because a guy I was dating in L.A. had mentioned reading it and I was curious to find out if he'd been using these techniques on me. It became my favorite book, which is the last book you'd think a girl would like, especially because these guys are manipulative and deceiving. But on a larger level the book is really a fascinating sociology experiment and a lesson in human nature.

Hence, my favorite quote:

"Usually, what you wish for doesn't fall in your lap; it falls somewhere nearby, and you have to recognize it, stand up, and put in the time and work it takes to get it. This isn't because the universe is cruel. It's because the universe is smart. It has its own cat-string theory and knows we don't appreciate things that fall into our laps."
-The Game, by Neil Strauss

You might be familiar with the Pickup Artist reality show. Well it turns out Mystery (a main character from the novel) and Matador (from the reality show) are in New York. And I get to meet them this week! It's like my book coming to life!

When I was college, I met a guy at a party and within five seconds of speaking with him, I knew he was a pickup artist and had read The Game. All he did was shake my hand and say, "You have an interesting handshake." Not everyone that says this is a pickup artist and I don't even think that line was in the book, but I'm telling you, I just knew it. After a couple minutes I smiled and asked if he had read The Game. He was shocked and said I was the first girl to ever call him out. It was a very proud moment for myself.

For all you pickup artist fans, Mystery is signing copies of The Mystery Method today at Borders Books in Penn Plaza, New York at 7pm.

And for all you women out there, beware. The pickup artists are in the city ...