Saturday, November 22, 2008

POKER TOURNEYS AND TRIPS TO SPACE



Last night I was at a celebrity charity poker tournament where they auctioned off a trip to space.

I'm not kidding.

It went for just under half a million dollars to two gazillionares who both get to go ... and to think I was upset about losing $400 in poker. It still hurts. Seriously though, I felt like I was in the movie Back To The Future.

Questions - How can we not figure out the BCS? How can we not figure out how warm up my apartment? How can we not figure out public transportation in L.A.? ... But we can auction off trips to space? Really?!?

The poker was for the Sunflower Children Charity, which was created by the gorgeous model and humanitarian Helena Houdova. The charity helps provide survival and development care for the forgotten children of the world.

The event was held at Gotham Hall in NYC was MC'd by my buddy, 2006 World Series of Poker Winner, Jamie Gold, who I met a few years ago at the Sundance Film Festival, at a poker tournament where I made it to the final table (beginners luck, which I no longer have).

I was so nervous before the tournament that I made sure to brush up on my poker skills, re-read one of my poker books and called up my little bro who gave me a 45 minute crash course of tips. My brother is amazing. He won $3,600 last night in an online tournament. He's the real deal.

Then, when I got to the tournament Jamie said, "This is not a tournament of skill, this is a tournament of survival." Shit. It messes me up playing with a bunch of people who don't know poker and needless to say, I lost $400. It went to a good cause though I suppose.

But lets be honest, in comparison to the million dollars they got from the silent auction, did they really need 1/3 of my rent money?