Monday, June 23, 2008

Q & A WITH TEDDY GEIGER!


What more do I need to say? I interviewed Teddy Geiger! I'm a huge fan of his music (and his hair). Just a few weeks ago I wrote a post to all graduates of 2008, telling them to be strong and if they have any doubts, they should listen to a song called "These Walls" by Teddy Geiger. The song literally got me through graduation and the post-graduate-real-world-uncertainty after college. It changed my life.

It's kind of hilarious how obsessed I am over this song since it's sung by a 19-year-old kid who has less life experience than myself, but perhaps it is that youthful approach to life and looking at the world with open eyes that makes young people have moments of great understanding.

I recently met Teddy Geiger unexpectedly. Needless to say, I had a lot of questions for this kid who wrote a song I've listened to a million times. Teddy, thank you. And please, keep writing.

What are you working on now?

Well I just released 33 songs and out of those 33, fans can pick their favorite 11 and they will end up on my album.

That’s the coolest idea ever. What made you decide to do this?


We had a lot of material recorded and we were sorting through and trying to pick the 11 ourselves and I just kind of wanted the fans to hear what I’ve been working on and get the full perspective on things. I wanted to see what they thought and see what they responded to.

I’ve heard of fans picking the single but that seems crazy to have them pick the entire record.

Well yeah. I’m a little nervous about it. I don’t know what they’re going to do. I obviously like certain songs more than others but I guess I’m just putting my fate in the fans and trusting them. They’re going to want what they want anyways so I think giving them the choice is best for all parties involved.

What is the collaborative process like?

It’s been weird for me because I grew up writing just by myself in my bedroom and I wouldn’t show anybody so it’s kind of hard. It takes me a while. The more I get to know somebody and the more comfortable I am with the person the easier it goes. But I think you can always just write a song with somebody but if it’s going to be a song that means something, it’s nice to get to know the person.

The song where you sing, “The waters rising up to my knees and I can’t figure out –”


These Walls.

Yes! And how you talk about spreading your wings. What is that about?

Well it’s kind of one of those things. It’s kind of taking down all the rules around you and I feel like you’re going to do what you want to do.

What inspired you to write that? Is it about a relationship?

I guess it’s more just life in general. I’ve had a lot of experience where I’ll me like, I wish I could do that and then I’d think about it for a second and be like, oh I can. I just need to kind of get past this mental block. It’s kind of more recognizing what’s going on and then going for it.

Are you based in L.A.?


I just moved out here a year ago from upstate New York.

I’m moving to New York in August.

I moved to L.A. and that was crazy. Just brace yourself; it’s going to be weird. It was weird for me. Maybe you’ll just slide right in.

So this new CD, when I listen to it I’ll want to know what inspired you?

Kind of just growing up a little bit, getting out of my parent’s house and starting to make life decisions I guess. And deciding how I wanted to see the world in my own way.