Monday, June 23, 2008

WHAT NOT TO SAY ON A DATE


RULE 102: Never admit you think more into things than a girl.

I had gone out on a few dates with a guy senior year. I wasn't totally into him anyways, but he seemed like a good guy so I was trying to give things a chance until ...

We were driving in the car after what I thought was a nice dinner date by the beach and he says to me:

"You're not wearing earrings today."

"Um, yeah," I say. "I know."

There was an awkward silence and finally the guy explodes.

"Do you not like me? Where do you want this to go? You're sending me mixed signals!"

I'm a little thrown off and I tend to stumble in situations such as these.

"Um, we've been on like three dates," I say. "Can't we just play it by ear?"

Then he confesses.

"You wore earrings on our last date but tonight you're not wearing earrings," he says. "So I thought that meant you didn't like me because you didn't try."

WTF?!

"Okay," I say taking a deep breath. "The reason I'm not wearing earrings is because I'm wearing a necklace instead and it wouldn't match ... I don't always wear earrings."

The guy looked a bit relieved, but I on the other hand, was not.

Needless to say, I never went out with him again. We had a poli sci class together, which caused some awkward moments, but none more awkward than that car ride home. He never understood why I didn't want to go out with him again. I wonder what "deeper meaning" he took from when I wore a pony tail to class. I mean, seriously. Earrings?!