Thursday, May 1, 2008

SEAN KINGSTON INTERVIEW


Sean Kingston’s song “Beautiful Girls” might still be stuck in your head from last summer. The Jamaican American reggae singer and rapper’s single reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks. At the time Kingston was just 17 years old. Since then, he’s had another top 10 Billboard hit with “Take You There,” he’s toured with Gwen Stefani and worked with Fergie, Natasha Bedingfield and Lil Wayne.

I caught up with Miami-born Kingston after a concert presented by T-Mobile Sidekick in Hollywood to chat Miami sports, celebs and the not-so-musically gifted athletes.

You’re from Miami, are you a big Dolphins fan?

For sure! I’m a Miami fan. I love the Dolphins.

Do you think the Dolphins are going to turn things around next season?

I definitely think they’ll comeback but if they don’t, I’m still a’ight with them because that’s where I’m from. I’d be more than happy if they came back though.

What about Jason Taylor, you a big fan?

Oh, I think he’s going to get traded.

Yeah?

Yeah. I don’t want him to get traded but I think he’s going to get traded, because he hasn’t stepped up.

He’s been doing pretty good on Dancing With the Stars. Have you watched the show at all?

Um, no.

Pat Riley. He just left the Heat. Any thoughts?

He did? You see I’m more of a football type of person. I love basketball, but growing up in high school I used to always play football. I wasn’t really into basketball so I don’t really keep up when I’m on the road. But Pat Riley, I know of him.

Lil’ Romeo signed on to play basketball at USC and he’s 18 years-old just like you. Have you ever thought about taking a break from music and giving college football a try?

I think going to college to play football would be crazy. Just the experience with my friends, the girls and all that. That would be kind of fun. I mean, I’m up for it.

What college would you want to play for?

I’d go to the University of Miami!

Who’s your pick for the NBA Finals?

I’m going to say the Lakers. The Lakers have been good. I used to live in LA for a little bit. I’ve been to LA a lot of times for my career. I love it - the weather, the food, the girls. Everything about LA. It’s just a cool, chill spot. So I’m going with the Lakers. I’m counting on Kobe Bryant.

Now for a tough question: Rihanna, Ciara or Beyonce?

Beyonce. But Beyonce’s taken of course, so I’m going to say Rihanna. But Rihanna’s looking like she’s taken so I’m going to say Ciara. So Ciara.

Who’s the coolest person you’ve met so far?

The coolest person I’ve met so far was Jay-Z. That was amazing. He’s talented, he’s down to earth. He’s one of my favorite rappers and when I met him I was just like, wow, he’s dope. I met him at Rick Ross’s album release party and he totally came over me and was like, “I love what you’re doing, keep it up.” And I think that was very big of Jay-Z.

There’s been a lot of NBA basketball players that have tried to get into music - Kobe, Shaq, Allen Iverson, Chris Webber. They haven’t exactly had platinum-selling hits. Is it a bad idea for athletes to get into music?

If you can do it, do it. But if you can’t, stick to what’s good, man. Don’t try to fix something that’s not broken. You know what I’m saying? But if you can do it, why not? If you can’t, stick to shooting hoops. I’ll do what I do.